Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats wrong with casters? Everyone's two cents!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Least favourite caster class to play.
Mage
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Cleric
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Illusionist
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Druid
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Vicks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also working on it ... my sonic resonance will boom throughout teh lands!

~Ancient Proverb
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cough drop making a mage?
Vicks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ... I just think that rangers are one of the more underratted casting classes.

~Ancient Proverb
lexi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meci lasted longer against Vicks, than a warrior
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Evasive and defensive styles were a casters best friend, you could simply drop into evasive and cast away, taking far less damage than a standard or aggressive style.

Ok, I've coded an evasive affect type. Whilst 'evasive' you deal half damage with your weapon and take half damage from other people's weapons. Spellcasting in either direction is unaffected.
Ideas for:
- how the skill/spell to implement this should work - should it be something you just enable/disable at will (note:nuisance to code), or should it be like limber where you invoke it and it lasts until it expires, or should it be a self-cast only spell? Or is there a good reason for different classes to get it in different ways? What classes should get it?
- what should the skill/spell actually be called?
neq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gareth"]
Quote:
- how the skill/spell to implement this should work - should it be something you just enable/disable at will (note:nuisance to code), or should it be like limber where you invoke it and it lasts until it expires, or should it be a self-cast only spell? Or is there a good reason for different classes to get it in different ways? What classes should get it?
- what should the skill/spell actually be called?

self cast spell, or skill like discern is and the caster would need it kind of early i think

I personally don't see a reason why different classes should get it in different ways.

Just the regular magic classes, the remorts don't need it. Rangers don't need it, even Auggers don't need it. So Druids, Mages and Clerics. Oh and pixies should get it cause its kind of hard to hit a pixie. LOL

Possible names: Evasion, Peek a boo, or maybe semi-corporeal state (you half way exist so you take half the damage)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solitude Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding that more over time I agree with Seph! (holy shit)
I agree with the beginning of the thread, combat styles SUCK!

What I see as the big problem is that fighter classes have axcess to all the mage/cleric/special spells ... the same as spellcasters.

Quaffing heal pots makes a cleric almost uselss,
Gear + pots + objects that cast spells has degenerated the worth of a caster.

Pretty much, spellcasters are dead, the mud has become to upgraded to allow them to functionally serve in the community UNLESS someone needs buffs for leveling.
I'm sure everyone realizes the humor in this since very few characters actually level and require spells..... the real funny number is how many players operate those characters... we are talking 1 - 3 people per month at most.

Spellcasters really don't have very much validity on here. Remort classes and mobs that drop scrolls/pots/gear with spells have made them nonfunctional.

Mainly the best way to enjoy the game seems to be: Get a Ranger/Vampire/Monk or remort Paladin/Necraladin
and get really big weapons and DR.

Mana and spells are really obsolete!

Soliburger
-=forever picking weakness=-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowkaun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavensbless is always in demand my friend Smile
Why is it that only the Shkur of all races have kept up the ancient War perhaps their memories are longer perhaps it is from their more warlike ways some say it is because their minds are less susceptible to Vampiric mind control
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ronin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solitude Star wrote:

Gear + pots + objects that cast spells has degenerated the worth of a caster.

Couldn't have hit that nail any more squarely on the head. I remember the day when Magick was rolling in cash because every avatar and their pet was handing him gold to brew potions / scribe scrolls.
I seriously think one of the best things that could happen to casters would be to comment the contents of the wearspell function. Maybe replace it with a cute emote to make people happy.
That said however... I envision someone making a mage, and just logging it to spell themselves up whenever they need a boost, so maybe it'll just irritate everyone as it'll suddenly be deemed necessary to create a mage.

Wearspell items I can think of that exist (most of which aren't even difficult to obtain).
+5 Slink
+10 (or 11) bless
+5 Sagacity
+5 Trollish Vigor
+5 Dragon Wit
Iceshield
Fireshield
Shield
Protection (I'm not sure if that one's still around or not actually)
Phantom image (Okay, this one's damn near impossible to get at least)
And there's at least a few other I don't recall at the moment. Can anyone else add to the list?

Worse still are the 'affected_by' items.
Cool though it is to run around with perma true-sight from visions, or perma protect, or perma fly, perma invis, etc.
Otherwise... I'm enjoying my mage thoroughly. I still think Gareth's reasoning that no-one's really found an ideal way to play them stands.

Maybe more mob's just need to start randomly casting 'dispel magic', or disable removing equipment (with the exception of weapons) during combat, or at least making it a full-round action to equip / unequip as opposed to instantaneous.
Heh... Naked time would be really amusing if something like that was implemented. The ramifications of 'wear all' would be awesome.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin wrote:
I seriously think one of the best things that could happen to casters would be to comment the contents of the wearspell function.

I'm actually quite surprised by this; I thought I'd got rid of almost all the wearspell items already... :/

Guess I'll do a few more then, I'll just switch out spells for affects of the same value, i.e. riding boots slink can have +6 dex instead, inner warmth can have resist cold, 'elder gods' iceshield spell can have iceshield affect, invis ring can have affect invis.
With apologies to those adversely affected.

Ronin wrote:
Worse still are the 'affected_by' items.

My reasoning on that being that wearspell stuff you can just set up a trigger or whatever to respell yourself, whereas with affected_by you're committed to having that item take up that wear slot.
Jadical

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I'd bitch about these updates because I think I'm the most mage-in-a-pocket guilty player on the mud. I keep 17 deathloyal items in my inventory at all times...it's disgusting (not all are wearspells)

But, despite losing a lot of buffing ability, I think this is a positive move.

Next let's get rid of purple scrolls and total heal pills, both of which are game-breakers.

Edit:

The things I'd change/remove:
Total heal pills allow Shadowkaun + Lombar/Kellison to kill Urtavu with no problem

The prevalence of powerful weapons with the "magic" flag allow nonmagical characters to EASILY defeat immune/resistant-nonmagic beasts. It was not long ago that people were carrying around Bwani spears with an average 40 damage. Now they are carrying mimic blades of magic, magical warhammers, etc. Remove almost all the flags until "necromantic touch" becomes the best way to kill a immune nonmagic bad guy...

OR bring along your cleric that has unravel defense (without purple scrolls, casters + paladins are the only way to get unravel)

Furthermore, I would totally support removing unravel defense from paladins and giving it to necraladins only; it's an offensive spell anyhow.

The fact of the matter is this: If you take a level 85 mage and have him deal as much damage as he can to a weak monster (say, for instance, the king at chessboard) and calculate the damage dealt with melee for autocombat and damage dealt with magic between rounds, you'd find that the damage from autocombat would be significantly closer to magic damage than you'd think (I would not rule out the possibility of the mage doing more damage with his knife than his fireballs in that particular situation). It's easy enough to check with temporarily giving Meci Damage Knowledge of 95% and figuring it out.

The other primary issue of why mages suck is because equipment has been steadily improving over time, whereas equipment doesn't necessarily benefit mages as much as combat classes.

When av2 was created, the "point system" was created to determine whether someone was av2 eligible. I think it would be completely fair to say that I could have a new-av geared and surpass the number of points to be av2 the same day. This can also be tested if you desire. However, having a mage with 130damroll at new-av compared to a 130damroll at new-av ranger is strikingly different.

Additionally, weapon damage took a quick dip when Silver Bows were removed from the game, but now weapon damage is insane. I could find any number of ridiculous weapons nowadays. It wasn't TOO long ago that people were walking around with Damnations and Benedictions with their average damage of 40. Right now in Kellison's inventory is a weapon with an average damage of 90!!! with 10 damroll. I keep it because it deals almost as much damage as my 300damroll monk-punch, and it increases my ability to parry (because I'm using a weapon instead of unarmed).

Reconsidered: a bolt of lightning shoots from the sky and hits you square in the head for 50 damage on average.
A person whacks you with a stone club for 70 damage (at minimum) + damroll bonuses...but that person has dual wield, and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th attack.

In conclusion, I wouldn't mind if you nerfed the hell out of everything. Kellison included (in fact, he was highly negatively affected by the removal of slink from the black boots...but it's worth it.)
Shadowkaun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop talking about my class, which you've never played
Why is it that only the Shkur of all races have kept up the ancient War perhaps their memories are longer perhaps it is from their more warlike ways some say it is because their minds are less susceptible to Vampiric mind control
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jadical

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I did Smile

I was banned for playing as Rezo, which was Alucard's character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: