Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas.txt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Link Reply with quote

www.abandonedcodex.net
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title (where it says 'Abandoned Codex' in the top right of the screen) will now act as a link to the main website.

EDIT: Oh, wait, that seems to break lots of other things. Stupid phpBB. You'll have to make do with it being in the subtitle instead.

Last edited by Gareth on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Palermo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's a thought on the whole subject of clan eq, and how it's rarely picked for being appropriate for the clan in question (as in the example above) -
How about getting shot of the system where you just create a fixed item, and replace it with one where your clan item is fashioned from an existing item that you supply yourself? So you could have, say, a militaristic clan like Obsidian Circle who'd have a uniform breastplate and helmet (that you could wear regardless of level), and Nonla could have some sort of Staff-o-Peace as their weapon, and SoN could have a dark cloak, and so on; and it wouldn't impact on people's stats.
The command to change the item would probably be leader/number1/number2 only to keep it in check, but they'd be able to do it as and when.

Thoughts?

I don't know of I understand... the leader would basically rename a piece of eq?
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. But it wouldn't be arbitrary, they could only rename it to a fixed thing.
Vicks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds kind of ... silly.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, as long as you're prepared to accept it as a game mechanism rather than the in-character act of changing equipment. The IC explanation would be more along the lines of, you bring wealth to the clan by finding said piece of equipment, which then gets sold to raise funds for your clan item.

I think clan eq would look a heck of a lot nicer if it were picked for being appropriate for roleplay rather than being picked based on what the leader at the time fancied stat-wise (and don't even TRY to pretend that that isn't what happens with every clan). Least of all cause the pretence at appropriateness generally prevents any co-ordination, cause you're too busy trying to think of a way to make an earring or a light be in any way relevant to your clan to really fit it in with the other 3 items. And of course, hardly any avs wear their level 15 item.

So, for example, and this is just an example, think how good it would be if whenever you saw an OC clannie, no matter who it was, they'd be wearing:
Dark steel breastplate with an obsidian crest
Dark steel helmet
Dark steel pauldrons with an obsidian crest

and a Nonla clannie might be dressed thus:
White robes with a dragon inscription
Glowing spirit torch
Wooden sandals

and Ira might have:
A wolfskin gambeson
Chainmail armor
A furred helmet

and SoN might have:
A white frilled shirt
A long black robe
Polished black leather shoes

and so forth.
neq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

role playing wise i like it, but i don't quite understand the level thing. So like palermo said the clan leader renames my flowing black robe to a long black robe but i keep the same stats as my flowing black robe?

or is it going to be automatic so i don't have to ask a clan leader to rename my eq when i level and find something better?

Neq the noob
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it keeps both stats and level. I was thinking of keeping it clan leader-only to stop rampant proliferation of clan-named eq, though.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would definitely need to regulate it carefully. Mainly, what happens to the old piece of equipment that had been renamed but is now being replaced by a better (which is also renamed)? Does the previous item get deleted? Does it get renamed back to original? How do we enforce this?

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the clan would hang on to it to give to the next clan member who came along. Worst case scenario is, we find a non-clan member with a clan-named item and we make them sac it. And maybe the rest of their eq too if it looked like they were blatantly taking the piss.
If a clan member wants to give one of their old items to a non-clannie, and it's really so rare and difficult to get that they can't just get them another, then it'll be rare and valuable enough to be worth spending the qps on a regular rename.
Palermo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea
neq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea also
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Uh... Reply with quote

But I like my Ira Light.
The only way I'd enjoy a removal of old clan eq without any bonuses to newly made "renames" for clan eq would be if you made the locations where the majority of these equipment slots are used alot easier to replace.
No time soon is Adiux going to get killed, and even if we manage to somehow get a group of 18 together, none of them sh'kura, the Blood Crystal he has may not even be that good of a light.

I dunno, it just seems to me that if you want eq to roleplay with, you rename it yourself. Maybe clans can set up regulations to control the equipment requirements for active members? Other than +10 bless whenever you need it, a fun chest to fill with all the crap everyone finds and a new channel there isnt alot of benefit to a clan if you take out the equipment. After all, there's not enough players for clans to have the tactical aspect in pkill. Frankly, pkill dosent exist on here.

My two cents, not yours.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that what a clan means to you, then? Bennies and handouts? :p

I can put more lights and ear-eq in the system, but I still hold by my belief that nothing you put on your ear should be able to turn you into an uber killing machine.
Vicks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logically I agree with you, but let's be honest, the eq/stats system is far from what we'd refer to as "logical" in terms of real life. I mean, where do you find a big heavy suit of armor that you can wear to raise your strength enough to almost double the amount of weight you're able to carry? Where do you find armbands that you can put on to raise your intelligence? I don't relly see why it's "logical" for a pair of gloves or a belt to give you damroll and not for an earring ... which brings us to the main problem. If we keep moving the line up, soon we'll have ... real life. And I don't relly need a MUD for that *chuckles*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: