Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas.txt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peaceful idea is a great idea. Die peacefuls die!
Norik

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth wrote:
Here's anothing that's sprung up from a recent conversation:
How about we make Peacefuls pkillable?
Now, before anyone panics, here'd be a (possible) detail:

- Pkill timer is 24 hours (you can't be pkilled more than once a day)
- No looting - this would be enforced in the code so it'd be physically impossible to get looted
- No shoving or dragging (but they can't shove or drag either)

And if you're deadly, no more loot limits, at all, or any of the other sissy complaints I keep getting Wink

can you log jander on outside of town while youre at it?
neq

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[21001] Maxim: clerics should get sagacity, they are magic users, and theyre prime stat IS wisdom...

I really think clerics should get sagacity, since i don't think we have any spells that affect the base stats
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neq

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about post another idea list, Also I like to thank you G for putting in a lot of those ideas.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowkaun wrote:
how bout upping warriors cure light spell a little bit. Seeing warriors are constantly surrounded and fighting spell casters, surely they would have learned to cast a cure light spell more effeciently.

neq wrote:
...or even being able to cast more than one spell in a round like 3rd attack but for spells behold the power of a warwizard then.

I've been kicking an idea around in my head for a little while now, and thought now would be a good time to bring it to light.

The Warwizard is what happens when a mage decides to become adept at flinging spells succesfully in battle. This is a good idea for a mage, who more often than not, will find himself in single melee combat. But, what about the warrior who finds that a good axe will only take him so far? Or the enlightened fighter who sees magic as merely another weapon to weild?

Enter the Spellsword (or what you will). A warrior who has learned how to effectively use spells--albeit minor ones--in battle. Think of the power of, say, shocking grasp when a metal 'rod'--forget for a moment that this rod is sharped to leathality--is held in that hand. Or the effectiveness of a magic missle at point blank range wedged inbetween a coupl swings of a broadsword.

I would think a warrior would focus less on things like divination, or summoining (unless it was for a weapon), and place his focus on the spells that can do the most damage quickly. And what warrior worth his salt would forget to train with his weapon. And with such training would come the ability to use his spells like any other weapon--almost subconiously and in the heat of battlle, perhaps sacrificing an extra swing of his sword.

Of course, such a fighter wouldn't neglect his own body. He would take the time to learn not only how to enhance his own body, but also how to heal it after a difficult battle.

But such a fighter, allowed only his magic, would pale in comparison to a mage of equal experience. After all, the warrior has not had the years of training that is required to be a full-flegded mage. But given a sword and a chance to leap into the fray, such a warrior would be a force to be reckoned with.

My $2/100th,
Garn
neq

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey for clerics how about for like a second attack for magic it just be some spell that casts automatically all the time, it can be something week like magic missle, or umm umm dispel evil. But it casts by itself it uses up mana .... oh wait i bet that would suck cause .... Know what G you don't have to put in the ability for clerics to cast more than one spell a round, plus how would I type it. There fore how about giving us poor and few clerics a few of those mage spells that can change me from a pleveling cleric to a Twinking cleric

hehe
garn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, a few more ideas came to mind, and since I know of no better place to put them, I'll put them here.

1) Area Exploration: Ah, the plight of making an area and then no-one wants to visit it. But why? Someone's heart and soul wen into that area, but no-one so much as enters it. From my perspective it boils down to a few specific reasons:
A) Any unexplored area can be quite dangerous, and exploring it may result in immediate death. For example: The hapless newbie who decides to do some exploration in the area of New Ofcol, taking a southernly route and winding up getting killed by the guard outside Sludig's Keep. Such a thing happening while just strolling about tends to reduce the want to explore.
B) Everything you want/need is in places that you know you can get to. For low-levels like myself, this amounts to exp. and by travelling to a few well known locations can get that with out much hassle. Instead of having to go looking for exp, I only have to run to The Battlergrounds, Dwarven Daycare, Shattered Refuge, The Galaxy, Wargs, and so-on and so-forth. Needing only to visit those areas reduces the chance I'll go and explore.
C) Death. This is the overriding reason not to do much exploration. When you die, you lose exp. and your eq. leaving you with your gold. If you happened to waltz into a place over your heaand get slain by an aggro mob, unless you have help, you can kiss you eq goodbye. There are ways around this of course, but unless you have access to those options, you're out your eq. Now, this is not a tremendous loss if you're able to replace said eq. However, if a good portion of your eq requires you to slay mobs, there is a good chance that you will be unable to retrive your eq on your own.

With these reasons in mind, it becomes very apparent why exploration is somewhat of a no-no. But these can be easily combated. To make a place less dangerous to the hapless explorer, keep the barrier to entry close to the level of the lowest aggro mob, or make sure to place forebodding; walking into what appears to be a happy litttle town and finding out it's a nest of bloodthirsty demons is not nessacarily the most fun. Walking into an abandoned town with several recently torched houses, however, is likely to raise a few red flags. To reduce the possibility of someone playing in their favorite areas and not exploring, their favorite areas need to be changed, making uncharted areas at least as enticing, if not moreso. And lastly, to make death less of a blow, make replacement eq readily avalible. Not the best eq, mind you, but enough to get back on your feet. Like shops selling medium strength eq for about every ten levels. Using these tactics implores people to step out of their safe havens and out into the world.

2) Gold, The Economy, and You. Everyone seems to have more than enough gold to cover their expenses. Which makes it hard to sell powerful things in shops without screwing up the balance. How does one combat this? By having the shops sell things worth buying. Currently--from my perspective--there are only a few things worth buying: scrolls of detect invisible, a bag of meat to keep my self from starving, and spells from the healer. Other than this, there isn't much worth spending my gold on. So, how do you get people to spend their hard earned gold? Buy selling things worth buy. For example, when I'm fighting in wargs, I often wish I had a simple potion of cure poison, so fight Mama Warg doesn't mean an immediate trip back to town. I know this would be a major money sink for me, as I would buy them in bulk untill they are no longer useful to me. Things along those lines, items that are consumable and useful are good ways to reclaim some gold.

Well, that's enough text for now. I'll come up with more things to say later.

Garn
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garn wrote:
1)
A) Any unexplored area can be quite dangerous, and exploring it may result in immediate death. For example: The hapless newbie who decides to do some exploration in the area of New Ofcol, taking a southernly route and winding up getting killed by the guard outside Sludig's Keep.

Very well, I've increased the low_hard level on Sludig from level 30 to level 50.
I'd also suggest people make use of the %A token in their prompt to let them know when they've unwittingly changed area.

Quote:
B) Everything you want/need is in places that you know you can get to. For low-levels like myself, this amounts to exp. and by travelling to a few well known locations can get that with out much hassle. Instead of having to go looking for exp, I only have to run to The Battlergrounds, Dwarven Daycare, Shattered Refuge, The Galaxy, Wargs, and so-on and so-forth. Needing only to visit those areas reduces the chance I'll go and explore.

No easy solution to that - soon as we shuffle areas around, the new ones get learned about, and the cycle repeats. Alls we can really do is encourage builders to keep plugging away.

Quote:
c) Death. This is the overriding reason not to do much exploration. When you die, you lose exp. and your eq. leaving you with your gold. If you happened to waltz into a place over your heaand get slain by an aggro mob, unless you have help, you can kiss you eq goodbye.

Meh, don't be such a pussy. I don't see how I could take any more of the sting from deaths without removing what little sense of danger is left in the system.

Quote:
To reduce the possibility of someone playing in their favorite areas and not exploring, their favorite areas need to be changed, making uncharted areas at least as enticing, if not moreso.

Is that the sound of you volunteering to build areas? I hope so!

Quote:

And lastly, to make death less of a blow, make replacement eq readily avalible. Not the best eq, mind you, but enough to get back on your feet. Like shops selling medium strength eq for about every ten levels. Using these tactics implores people to step out of their safe havens and out into the world.

I've no objection to a few more shops in the world, as it goes. Might get round to that some day. Tricky part is getting the silly smaug shop system to fix sensible levels to items.

Quote:

Buy selling things worth buy. For example, when I'm fighting in wargs, I often wish I had a simple potion of cure poison, so fight Mama Warg doesn't mean an immediate trip back to town.

I agree there needs to be more money sinks (and for the money taps to be turned down). I've been deliberately cutting back on potions and suchlike though, in order to encourage mages, clerics, druids, and suchlike - the classes that otherwise get a fairly raw deal in terms of combat and levelling ability.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though, keep them coming!
garn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding, I was hoping that my thoughts might be heard.

Gareth wrote:

Very well, I've increased the low_hard level on Sludig from level 30 to level 50.
I'd also suggest people make use of the %A token in their prompt to let them know when they've unwittingly changed area.

I know at least one 30th level Half-troll warrior who thanks you.

Gareth wrote:

Meh, don't be such a pussy. I don't see how I could take any more of the sting from deaths without removing what little sense of danger is left in the system.

Ah, my point wasn't that the death system is too harsh, it's just difficult to recover from it. I know that I, as a fairly bad eq finder (though that's probably my own fault), would greatly appreciate easy to get eq (for example, available for purchase at the Blacksmith's) that's appropriate for what ever level I'm at, or at least within reason. Razing the newbie area to get newbie eq at level 30 just doesn't seem appropriate for some reason.

Gareth wrote:
Is that the sound of you volunteering to build areas? I hope so!

Well, I would enjoy making areas...

I just have no idea how to do so...

[quote=Gareth]I agree there needs to be more money sinks (and for the money taps to be turned down). I've been deliberately cutting back on potions and suchlike though, in order to encourage mages, clerics, druids, and suchlike - the classes that otherwise get a fairly raw deal in terms of combat and levelling ability.[/quote]

But that hard part is finding a mage/cleric/druid/etc. with the ablity/time either in your level range or otherwise. I would greatly appreciate leveling with a spellcaster... if I could just find one who still needs to level (and is in my range and whatnot).

Thanks once again for looking over my ideas.
Garn
neq

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can different mud clients be offered to be downloaded from this site? or atleast links posted to where noobs can get pueblo or gmud or anything like that
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neq wrote:
can different mud clients be offered to be downloaded from this site? or atleast links posted to where noobs can get pueblo or gmud or anything like that

Google it you dope! Very Happy

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.abandonedcodex.net/pblo201.exe - original pueblo
http://pueblo.sourceforge.net/pueblo/index.php - Pueblo UE
Shadowkaun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Houses Reply with quote

Mmmm ok so i know it was brought up before on this thread, but is anything gonna happen with the houses in Pentir? Would you want Builders to create houses for people etc? I think this is a great idea that would be a cool thing for people to have fun with. I mean you could buy through gold/qp/quest i dont know, i just think it would be a great thing to have on the mud. And i know i would be willing to build some basic layouts and people can add things to them etc etc.. Or maybe have a company IC that would build houses and such.. Just throwinig out some of my ideas....

Shadizzle

ps. I really really liked the whole peacefuls dieing idea.. o well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More details to be posted on the av2 boards.
(av2 boards to be created once I'm not on telnet any more)
neq

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad no fair I can't read the av2 board Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: