Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 'where' command.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artemis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: The 'where' command. Reply with quote

I was talking with another player on the MUD when he mentioned something about taking out the 'where' command. At first I totally disagreed with him, I mean... what easier way to find your prey? But then he told me a few other things that made me think about it... One, if you were out in the middle of a forest, town, city, whatever... how would you know if someone is inside a house, or is swimming along a river? You wouldn't, without magical aid. Which brings me to another point. Two, mages have the skill farsight. The purpose of this skill is to find prey or see what other people are up to. Basically, its spying. Why even have that spell in the game if all you have to do is go from area to area type where? Third(this basically going straight to Gareth because I hear he's not fond of pkilling), it would make it a lot harder to pkill. People would have to actually use their skills in order to find someone or ask assistance from a magick user. All in all, I think that taking out the 'where' command would totally bring a bit of spice to the game.

"You feel the emptiness. The hopelessness. You know that I hold not only your life, but your very soul in my hands."
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle, I agree. If I were to start a mud from scratch, I probably wouldn't have 'where' for all.
In practice, taking something so very useful after six years tends to create a lot of anger amongst the player base - and I like to save up my 'Annoy Players Tolerance Points' for use on far more clear cut issues of balance.

If enough high level people said they would definitely prefer to have 'where' changed, and nobody objected to it, then I'd consider it.
Matri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh, it's already statistically and scientifically proven that you can't satisfy EVERYbody.

*waves* Hi everyone!

I'm surprised I still have my Claws Very Happy
Palermo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's up Matri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wedge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Where Reply with quote

Would it be possible to poll the general player base and see what they think? I think it's a fine idea.
Artemis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Poll Reply with quote

I put a poll up on the general noticeboard. Only a few people liked the idea, and half of the people who voted against it hardly even play.

"You feel the emptiness. The hopelessness. You know that I hold not only your life, but your very soul in my hands."
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is a good thing. You know how annoying it would be for people in quests? Imagine this scene (A rather common one I do believe): We have several people prancing about the woodlands in search for a man of medium build with a long fuzzy beard. This man bears the most vital bit of information to our very existance. Being the intelligent adventurers we are, we are obviously divided into at least 2 main groups, with several other people running around like mad trying to find everyone else. One group stumbles across this man and calls to their allies. Ah, the allies use the where command and in short order (for most of us) the group is collected for all to experience the glory of the quest!
But wait! What if we to have no where command?! Ah, well, when the successful group yells for their comrades, the comrades end up running about in circles for several minutes, since they have little to no clue where their allies are! Eventually the successful group gets the information, moves onto the next part of the quest on Pentir. Meanwhile several people are still running around the forest wondering what's going on!

Y'see? Where is a vital command if you want an enjoyable questing (or other things) experience. Yes, I suppose you could say mages have skills to counteract the lack of a where command, but how many mages are likely to be playing at once? In fact, how many mages exist in general? Razz

My 201235 cents.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Artemis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why couldn't any of you track or use scan to find your buddies?

mayln

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matri wrote:
Ehh, it's already statistically and scientifically proven that you can't satisfy EVERYbody.

*waves* Hi everyone!

I'm surprised I still have my Claws Very Happy

Hey there, Mattie. *pokes* Nice of you to show up, old man. ; )
Glaykor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because characters like clerics have only scry which only shows you what lies in the adjacent space. And by the time you use it, you could already be in the next space.... They do have solar flight, which hardly ever works because there is hardly ever a clear day between 8am and 5pm on the mud, a lot of the places aren't open to the sky, and sometimes I think it just doesn't work. Confused About the only time it does work is with the original smaug areas that haven't been too tampered with. Which there isn't too many remaining Twisted Evil
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if builders gave more thought to their room flags and sectortypes properly, yes. Maybe Talinn could organize a blitz on them with an afternoon of fixing them all? Wink
Talinn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: flags Reply with quote

I could organize a general training session on the mud for people who want to form a group to redo all the room flags, but no one exists on the bp anymore.

-talinn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha no one exists. I've spent a freaking TON of time on the BP the past couple days, and you have yet to be on mister head of BP. There's no way you could even know if anyone was on. So RazzRazzRazzRazzRazzRazzRazzRazzRazzRazzRazzRazzRazz
heheheh

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Palermo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

train us to set sectortypes? doesn't take a genious to do that. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> Ramblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: