Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any tips for a Newbie?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Any tips for a Newbie? Reply with quote

Well Met Everyone!

I am interested in adventuring in this new world and was wondering if anyone has any tips for a beginner? I have never been immersed in a MUD before, though I have played RPGs for many years.

Until we face the advancing hordes together, may you swords cleave clean and your spells never fizzle.

peek
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most tips would depend on race/class and some other things about your character, but the best general tips I can really think of would be:
1) Get your weapon enchanted. Preferrably courtesy of an avatar
2) Ask for spellups from other players
3) DON'T DIE!

If I think of more I'll throw em up here.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
peek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Thank You for the Prompt Response Reply with quote

What race/class combinations are offered?
What would you recommend for a starting character?
I am open to any type character, have no real preference since I don't know what the advantages / disadvantages are of the choices offered.

Say I want to do as much as possible solo, what is the best race/class to attempt?

Are many toons on at the same time to actually receive assistance should it be needed?

What is the best time to adventure in this land?

Just a few ramblings to get started.

Appreciate the assist Smile

peek
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played this game for a while, so maybe I can offer some advice.

About races: The race you play affects what stats you start out with. A half-troll will have more strength than a pixie, and a pixie will be more intellegent than a human. That sort of thing. Also certain races have other advantages. Pixies and Dragon-halfs have wings and can fly, gith can see invisible things without magic, humans need less experience to gain levels.
The one race I would discourage for a begininer is Dragon-half. They gain some neat spells, sure, but they also have a larger exp base, meaning that it will take you much longer to gain levels.

Classes: I suggest Ranger, Warrior and Thief. The other classes are fun to play, but these three are my favorite. The thing about this game is that spells don't really do much damage. You can launch off one spell per combat round, but you can land up to 10 or so hits with your weapon in the same time. Even the mages here mainly use weapons to kill their enemies. Warriors rangers and thiefs cannot heal themselves, so you will be spending a fair amount of time asleep at a npc healer who can heal you for free. Sometimes it seems like this takes for ever, but you can use this down time to read help files or make some new friends.

I didn't mention anything about vampires or sh'kura. Vampires are a class that three different races can play as. They basicly are fighters who can cast some useful spells with 25 dexterity. Sh'kur is a race of evil dwarfs who have higher stats than most any other race(this might of been changed some). Oh yeah, and they hate vampires a lot. If you are a vampire and you see a sh'kur, watch out.

Well that's it for now. Bye.
peek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Thank You for the Explanations ;-) Reply with quote

Thank You Waldo,

Now I know what I will experiment with this weekend!

Appreciate all the information.

Looking forward to reading all the help files I can get my hands on.

peek
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of playerbase, best times, etc....well...

I've never really seen a "primetime" that always has lots of players on, but there are several periods throughout the day where you can find several people at once. Although the owner of the mud (Gareth) is British, the majority of the playerbase tends to be North American, so shoot for logical times in the US/Canada. Night time anywhere from 8pm-3am is usually a good time to find people.

On races and classes; Waldo's explanations seem pretty solid to me. As a starting character, a warrior is always a good choice to get used to the system with. Being the stock combat class, warriors can dish out and take good amounts of damage, and are relatively easy to level. Thieves are fairly easy to level as well, but aren't usually happy when they're getting hit a lot Smile
Thieves do have the highest damage possibility with a couple of their skills, but generally thieves start out fairly weak and tend to have a hard time getting through middle level ranges.
All the classes that are primarily magic users, Mages, clerics, illusionists, are going to be a bit more difficult to level, not to mention weaker, but can be really enjoyable to play as.
The other classes I hesitate to give a specific category to. Rangers, monks, and vampires have a good amount of magical capabilities, healing in some cases, stat increase spells, but are more focused on physical combat than say, a mage.
Druids and augurers are kind of interesting. While not brilliant spell casters, they do have quite the list of spells to their names, but also have a fair amount of combat skills. I seperate them from the last three professions simply because I consider them to be slightly more spell based.

Overall, if you're not playing a warrior or thief (or maybe vampire), you're going to have a slower time leveling, but that doesn't mean you'll be weak. If you want to be able to solo a lot of things, warrior or ranger is the way to go.

At least, those are my opinions Smile I think they're pretty sound tho. Look me up in game if you need help, I'm Quakank.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
peek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: My Weekend Experiences Reply with quote

Thanks for all the assistance and information guys.

I tried several combinations this weekend and found the adventure quite interesting.

I don't much care for the death rules, but then no one asked me Confused

Enjoy the adventure!

peek, noria, obsidian, kmyrri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: